We provide professional support & legal guidance through the family law process

Attorneys’ Fees

One important aspect for any party involved in a family law case to consider is attorney’s fees and costs. Often, paying attorney’s fees can be a source of anxiety and strain, especially during a time of financial strain. However, not having an attorney to ensure that your rights are protected may result in significant financial and legal consequences. Accordingly, finding an attorney with experience and the ability to meet your needs is critical. Therefore, the question often becomes, “How do I pay my attorney?”

Below are some key points to keep in mind when considering where you may find funds available to pay attorney’s fees and costs:

1. You may use funds from your checking, savings, brokerage or other financial accounts.
2. You may use a credit card.
3. You may borrow money from friends and/or family.
4. In some circumstances, the Court may order the opposing party to pay your reasonable attorney’s fees and costs.
5. You may encumber your one-half interest in community real property to pay reasonable attorney’s fees and costs in order to retain or maintain legal counsel throughout your family law case. This is what is referred to as the Family Law Attorney’s Real Property Lien (FLARPL).

It is important to be able to account for any funds used post-separation for attorney’s fees, because the other party may request and is entitled to this information.

Attorney’s Fees and Costs Awards:

Family Code §2030 Fees:

Under Family Code §2030, the Court has discretion to order one party to pay another party’s reasonable attorney’s fees and costs. Family Code §2030 applies to cases of dissolution of marriage, nullity of marriage, or legal separation of the parties

The principal objective behind Family Code §2030 is to ensure that both parties have equal access to legal representation. Before granting this award, the Court will look at the parties’ disparity in incomes as well as the parties’ abilities and needs for attorneys’ fees. Therefore, if you are not the primary income earner or you do not have equal access to money to hire an attorney, you may be entitled to have your attorney’s fees and costs paid by the opposing party. If you are the primary income earner, or have more access to money to hire an attorney, you may be obligated to pay the opposing party’s reasonable attorney’s fees and costs under Family Code §2030.

The Court has the authority to make the attorney’s fees award at any time during the pendency of the action, often referred to as pendente lite. Oftentimes, the party seeking attorney’s fees and costs will make the fee request early in the proceedings in order to retain and pay an attorney. Furthermore, an attorney’s fee award is not necessarily a one-time order. The Court has authority under Family Code §2030(c) to augment or modify their award throughout the pendency of the action, depending on the circumstances of the case.

At Aeschleman Law, we are able to help our clients obtain the reasonable attorney’s fees they are entitled to under Family Code §2030. We are also experienced in defending our clients against fee requests, and namely to argue against an order for unreasonable attorney’s fees to the opposing party. Therefore, no matter your financial position in the case, Aeschleman Law will work on your behalf to assure your legal and financial interests are protected.

Family Code §271 Sanctions/Attorney’s Fees:

A common theme and goal throughout family law cases is the promotion of settlement. The California Legislature as well as California Courts are determined to support and incentivize parties and their attorneys to settle cases when appropriate. To do this, the Court has authority to order sanctions against a party and award attorney’s fees and costs to the opposing party when uncooperative and inappropriate conduct ensues. Specifically, Family Code §271 states, “the court may base an award of attorney’s fees and costs on the extent to which the conduct of each party or attorney furthers or frustrates the policy of the law to promote settlement of litigation and, where possible, to reduce the costs of litigation by encouraging cooperation between the parties and attorneys.” Hence, where a party or a party’s attorney engages in behavior that is uncooperative or inappropriate, the Court may order that party to pay the opposing party’s attorney’s fees and costs. A party subject to these monetary sanctions must not be placed under an unreasonable financial burden.

Family Code §271 does not seek to dissuade a party or party’s attorney from advocating or fighting for his/her interests. Rather this rule was codified to ensure that parties’ litigation tactics does not cross the lines of professionalism and cooperation.

At Aeschleman Law, we balance strong advocacy with the upmost professionalism to ensure that your rights are protected.

CRC. 5.14 Sanctions/Attorney’s Fees for Violation of Rules of Court in Family Law Cases:

As of January 1, 2013, California Rule of Court (CRC) 5.14 is effective. Similar to Family Code §271, under CRC 5.14 a party may be entitled to attorney’s fees and costs as a result of the opposing party’s misconduct.

However, CRC 5.14 is broader in who may be sanctioned and who is entitled to compensation. By motion of the court or a party to the case, sanctions may be imposed against “the attorney, law firm, party, witness, or other persons” that have engaged in specific conduct in violation of the rules. Additionally, the person that committed the violation may be liable for monetary sanctions to not only the other party but the Court as well. However, like with Family Code §271, a party subject to these monetary sanctions must not be placed under an unreasonable financial burden.

Breach of Fiduciary Duty Attorney’s Fees And Costs:

At Aeschleman Law, we have significant experience with Breach of Fiduciary Duty Cases.

Each spouse in a marriage or domestic partnership owes a fiduciary duty to the other spouse. Under Family Code §1101, a spouse has a fiduciary duty claim against the other spouse, when the breaching spouse impairs- fails to disclose, hides, encumbers, transfers, or disposes of the asset(s) without the permission of the other spouse- their undivided one-half interest in community property.

When the breach of fiduciary duty does not rise to the level of oppression, fraud, or malice, one of the prescribed remedies in a breach of fiduciary action is the mandatory award of attorney’s fees and costs to the non-breaching spouse. The Court must award the aggrieved spouse his/her attorney’s fees and costs associated with litigating the breach of fiduciary duty action. However, the Court must determine that the breaching party has the ability to pay the attorney’s fees and costs aware per Family Code §271.

Dissimilarly, when the breach does not rise to the level of fraud, oppression, or malice, the Court may award attorney’s fees and costs to the nonbreaching party; it is not mandatory. Once again, an attorney’s fees and costs award is subject to the breaching party’s ability to pay.

Breach of Fiduciary Duty claims are serious, often exposing parties in a Family Law case to serious liability, including paying the aggrieved spouse’s attorney’s fees and costs. At Aeschleman Law, we have can navigate you through the legally complex area of breach of fiduciary duty issues. If you know or believe your case involves a breach of fiduciary duty cause of action, contact Aeschleman Law to understand your rights and take action to protect your interests.

The Family Law Attorneys Real Property Lien (FLARPL):

Under Family Code 1102(a), a party in a family law case may encumber his/her one-half interest in community real property to pay reasonable attorney’s fees and costs in order or to retain or maintain legal counsel throughout their family law case. A party may do this unilaterally, but it is only effective up to their one-half community interest in the real property. Notice must be given to the other party.

In some circumstances, especially where a party lacks the financial resources to pay his/her attorney’s fees or where the party does not have access to their interest in community assets, an attorney may be willing to perform services if a Family Law Attorney’s Real Property Lien (FLARPL) is recorded. The FLARPL gives the family law attorney a lien against your community interests in real property, which essentially acts as collateral until your attorney’s fees and costs are paid in full. A FLARPL often appears intimidating, but under the proper circumstances and after consultation with an attorney, a FLARPL may be a viable and appropriate option.

Aeschleman Law is located in San Jose and serves Santa Clara, Alameda, and San Mateo Counties. Call us today for an initial consultation at (408) 724-8930. You may also contact us by filling out the form on the bottom of this site.

Aesheleman Law

Contact Us

1550 The Alameda #308
San Jose, California 95126

(408) 724-8930

(408) 758-6528

Consultation & Contact Form

Aeschleman Law offers reduced-rate consultations for website visitors. Please fill out the form below to request your consultation.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

* By providing your contact information, you are authorizing Aeschleman Law, PC to contact you at the phone number and/or email address provided, including for the purpose of leaving messages. If you would prefer not to provide your contact information or you do not authorize us to contact you, please call our office at (408) 724-8930.

Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.Google

Jason - "Nicole helped me get custody of my son, and gave me a foothold in my case. I could not have asked for a better representation"